Category: News

Holiday Break

The holiday season is upon us! We all get very busy in the days before the holiday break. Avoid the rush in Accounts Payable by submitting your travel vouchers, MDVs and invoices as soon as possible. We would like to process all of your payments for you prior to the upcoming break.

Don’t Forget Your Signatures!

Reminder string tied around fingerBefore submitting vouchers for payment, please ensure that all appropriate signatures have been obtained. This will result in faster processing and payment through Accounts Payable!

Travel vouchers must be signed on the line marked “Signature of Claimant” by the traveler. This signature acknowledges acceptance of the terms and conditions of reimbursement. Travel vouchers must also be signed by the supervisor (not a designee or stamp) of the employee who is requesting reimbursement for official travel. By signing the expense report, the supervisor is certifying the expenses being submitted are in accordance with the University of Alabama’s Travel Policies.

All MDVs must be signed by the appropriate supervisor and an appropriate department-designated approver with budgetary authority. The approvers’ signatures serve as authorization that the purchases are being made in accordance with the UA Spending Policy.

Additionally, please review all supporting documentation within your Travel Vouchers and MDVs to ensure all appropriate signatures are included. For example, please do not include a contract that has not been fully executed and signed by both an authorized UA signer and the external vendor.

Sales Tax on Foundations

Please remember that the University’s sales tax exemption does not apply to purchases made by foundations. Vendors are generally unaware of the source of funding for a purchase and may not apply the sales tax for foundation purchases. If sales tax is not added to foundation purchases and the vendor is audited by the state, the sales tax will be assessed at that time, and the vendor can come back to UA for payment.

As such, it is in the best interest of UA and our vendors to be vigilant in adding sales tax to foundation purchases at the time the invoice is received. When you receive invoices from a vendor for foundation purchases, please review the invoice for sales tax and follow up with the vendor if not included. If you have any questions or any issues with the vendor applying the tax, please contact Accounts Payable.

TSA Pre✓®

The costs associated with TSA Pre-Check service are not allowable on state funds (Chart A). Payment via P-Card, or personal credit/debit card seeking reimbursement, may be made only if approval is obtained to charge the expense to foundation funds. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact P-Card Services or Accounts Payable.


Uber, an on-demand ride-sharing service, is gaining popularity and momentum across the U.S. as an alternative to traditional taxi services. If you are traveling to a city were Uber operates, you can simply use the Uber App (available for iOS, Android, Windows and Blackberry devices) to request a ride and pay for your ride using a credit/debit card.

Before using this service, an Uber account will need to be created. If traveling for University business and paying for this service using your P-Card or seeking reimbursement through a Travel Voucher, you should create a Business Profile. To do so, select “Settings” then select “Profiles” within the app. When you create a business profile, you’ll be prompted to associate a business email address and credit card. Trips taken on your business profile default to this credit card, and all trip receipts are sent to your business email. These receipts will need to be included with the p-card packet or reimbursement request.

Please note that Uber fares are based on supply and demand and are typically more cost-effective than taxis, but not during peak or high-activity times. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact P-Card Services or Accounts Payable.

Sam’s Club Purchases

Sam’s Club has recently started accepting Visa credit cards as a payment method. As such, Accounts Payable will no longer provide Wal-mart Credit Cards for Sam’s Club Purchases. Departments should now use a University P-Card for these purchases. As a reminder, the UA Membership with Sam’s Club is intended for departments to purchase food items. Non-food items require pre-approval by a buyer in the Purchasing Department.

Departments should continue to pick up the Sam’s Club UA Membership Card from the front desk of Procurement Services in the South Lawn Office Building at 1101 Jackson Avenue, Suite 3000, Tuscaloosa, AL 35401 between the hours of 8:00 -12:00 and 1:00 – 4:30. The membership card must be returned to Procurement Services within 48 hours of checking out. For more information, please see the Sam’s Club Purchases webpage.

Please be aware that Sam’s Club may require your assigned PIN number. Please see the P-Card website for more on how to use your PIN number.

Are Accounts Payable and Financial Accounting in the same location?

Not anymore! Accounts Payable and Financial Accounting work very closely together, but we are no longer physically located together. To ensure documents are processed in a timely manner, please direct them to the applicable areas.

Accounts Payable Financial Accounting
Purchase Order payments
Travel Vouchers
Journal Vouchers
Box 870137 Box 870136

If you have an Accounts Payable voucher that is time sensitive, please hand deliver directly to the South Lawn Office Bldg at 1101 Jackson Avenue.

Review and Approval of Sponsorships

Please remember to submit your sponsorships to Accounts Payable for review and approval prior to entering into any sponsorship agreements. Many UA departments sponsor events, organizations, and activities where a mutually beneficial relationship exists. For these sponsorships, Accounts Payable will review the purpose of the sponsored entity, the business purpose for the sponsorship, and the benefits UA will receive, either directly or indirectly. Please also include any available sponsorship agreements or invoices with your information for review. Remember if the sponsorship agreement includes a line for a UA signature, the agreement will have to be reviewed by Contract Management as well. Please submit all sponsorships for approval to Mary Katherine Poole.

New Account Code for Spousal Travel

Accounts Payable has added a new account code in Banner to account for Spousal Travel.  The new Spousal Travel Account Code is 72350.  This code should be used for allowable travel for spouses or companions under the UA Travel Policy – Section 2.8.4. Spousal Travel.

Don’t Forget

When submitting Travel Vouchers and Miscellaneous Disbursement Vouchers, please remember to include your complete FOAPAL on the voucher.  Always include your Fund, Org and Account Code in order to expedite your payment.  Also remember to include your contact information on the voucher to ensure we can contact you quickly and easily with any questions.